In 1924 there was a name change to A H Nicholson & Son. The first big job for that business was Morley’s Mill in Doveton Street North. In 1934 Arthur William (AWN) became the driving force of the business, buying up old mansions and converting them to flats. All four sons of Arthur Henry’s worked in the business.
Sir Arthur was a great civic leader in the community and was awarded an OBE in 1961 and Knighted in 1968. Amongst many roles, he was Mayor of the City on four occasions. He died in 1981, a year before the company moved from Davey Street to Dowling Street.
His name lives on in the current company name, A W Nicholson Pty Ltd, which registered under the newly formed Companies Act of 1956, and now trades as Nicholson Construction.
AH’s son, Peter Campbell Nicholson, studied Building & Construction at SMB in the 1950s. He joined his father’s business as a carpenter, donning the nail-bag to learn the ropes in a practical way. He was eager to get stuck into the business, so ignored his father’s wishes for him to become a Civil Engineer. By the time the company name became A W Nicholson, Peter was ready to join his father as a director of the business.
Throughout the ’50s, 60s and 70s, the company continued to build homes and institutional buildings but, with the expansion of state government’s control and centralisation over the construction of infrastructure, Peter developed a stronger focus toward more commercial construction.