The Nicholson name has featured in Ballarat since the arrival of William Nicholson in 1864. He was a storekeeper his whole life and Nicholson Construction was born from the work of two of his sons in the late 1880s when the aftermath of the Eureka rebellion had settled and the newspaper headlines were all about the price of gold. A recession in the Colony in the 1890s saw work dry up, and Arthur Henry Nicholson left Australia for New Zealand to find work.
After the birth of his own son, Arthur William, in Auckland, Arthur Henry Nicholson returned to Ballarat in 1908 and once again joined his brother Alfred Ernest (Bob) Nicholson’s business.
Arthur Henry was a bricklayer, and “Nicholson Brothers” focused on weatherboard and brick villas in the Loch Avenue, Queen Victoria Street and Pleasant Street areas.